The hospital first opened on 15 November 1876 as a children's infirmary in Brightmore House, on Brook Hill in Sheffield. Two years later it moved to its current site on Western Bank where it was accommodated in a pair of semi-detached houses. The first X-ray machine and electric lights arrived in 1907 and a new operating theatre and electric radiators were installed in the 1920s. Two new wards were completed in 1927, a baby ward was opened in the 1930s and a second operating theatre was built in the 1950s. The accident and emergency department was extended in the 1970s and services were transferred from the Northern General Hospital in the 1990s.
© dreamkeeper.info 2019